A Smörgåsbord is a Scandinavian buffet where lots of different wonderful dishes are on offer. It is an opportunity to sample many different foods, possibly ones you hadn’t tasted before.
The Open Education Smörgåsbord will be just that – a chance to find out about different aspects of open education that you weren’t aware of. However, the possibilities for new experiences won’t end there as the facilitators intend to bring food from their home countries so that we’ll have a real edible Smörgåsbord too!
New Years Day food smorgasboard by Emma on Flickr
Our workshop will be running on Wednesday, July 16 from 14:00 – 16:00. We have a session etherpad so please do take a look, add your name if you’d like to be involved and add your ideas!
Open Education is about breaking down barriers to learning. This may be through changing teaching practice, shifting policy, releasing data or sharing resources. In the Open Education Smörgåsbord, led by the Open Knowledge Open Education Working Group, we want to get people interacting, collaborating, sharing, making and ultimately learning about what the future of education could be.
At the moment we have 5 tables planed though things could change and we may even end up with more!
- Table 1: Miska, Kristina and Irina: The open Teacher kit. On this table we will be making a best practice plan for openess can help teachers with ideas around how sharing and reuse can become a normal part of education.
- Table 2: Alek: OER policy made crystal clear. On this table we will be creating an infographic explaining the basic policy model for implementing OER.
- Table 3: Tom: Make mobile use of open data for education. On this table we will be making a plan for how mobiles can make better use of open data for education.
- Table 4: Marieke: Make an Open Education Handbook. On this table we will using role playing to flesh out the questions needed for our Open Education Handbook.
- Table 5: Darya: SlideWiki Starter Session. On this table we will trying out Slidewiki and seeing how open courseware tools can be used by educators.
The tables will be facilitated by:
- Kristina Anderson – Kristina works for CC Sweden. @kalexanderson
- Marieke Guy – Marieke is the Open Education Working Group Co-ordinator. @mariekeguy
- Miska Knapek – Miska is an information experience designer from Denmark involved with OKF-Finland, working with making new (open) knowledge building cultures, and visual tools for the same. @miskaknapek
- Irina Radchenko – Irina is an Associate Professor at the Higher School of Economics in Moscow. @iradche
- Tom Salmon – Tom is a teacher and open development researcher. @Fishytom
- Darya Tarasowa – Darya is a developer and | maintainer of SlideWiki.org platform for collaborative authoring of | OpenCourseWare. @SlideWiki
- Alek Tarkowski – Alek is the director of Centrum Cyfrowe, Polish NGO focusing on open issues and Public Lead of Creative Commons Poland and European Policy Fellow with Creative Commons. @atarkowski
Come along and get tasting!